What to Do After a Car Accident
Posted by shark
inLegal Advice, Necessary Forms
Most motorists drive defensively, take driver education courses, and use caution when on the road, however car accidents still occur. An auto collision can be an emotionally exhausting and stressful situation, so knowing what to do in advance can help you handle the unexpected. The best way to avoid problems after an accident is to be prepared. Keep a pen, piece of paper, camera, and a copy of your insurance card easily accessible at all times. Drivers are responsible for knowing what to do following an accident, so it is important to follow these steps in order to properly document the event.
- Assist the Injured
- Call 9-1-1 if medical attention is needed
- Make sure you are not in impending danger at the roadside
- Control the Scene
- Get to a safe place before exchanging information. If the vehicle is drivable, safely drive to the right or left emergency lane. If the vehicle is not drivable, turn on your hazard lights. Finally, do not leave the scene of the crash; find a safe place and wait until emergency services arrive.
- Notify the Police and Submit a Report
- It is required by law to notify the police
- Having a police report will help later if a liability claim is filed
- Document the Scene and Exchange Information
- Gather the information of all parties involved in the crash, including witnesses, to help complete future paperwork or address potential problems
- You should document
ii. Addresses/ email addresses
iii. Vehicle information (make, model, and year)
iv. Vehicle identification/ license plate numbers
v. Insurance carriers and policy numbers
vi. Photographs (location, people involved, damaged vehicles)
- Notify Your Insurance Carrier
- In order to begin a proper claim filing, you must notify your insurance carrier
- Get Your Vehicle Repaired
- You can visit http://www.southernnewengland.aaa.com/automotive/approved-repair-shops?zip=02601&stateprov=ma&city=hyannis&devicecd=PC&referer=exchange.aaa.com for a AAA approved auto body shop
- Unattended Vehicle or Property
- If you are involved in a crash with an unattended vehicle, take steps to inform the owner. Attach a written notice of the collision to the vehicle, and include your contact information on a written notice
Other Important Tips
- Follow this link for other tips following an auto collisionhttps://www.statefarm.com/claims/resources/auto/what-to-do-after-auto-accident
If you have been involved in a car accident, call the sharks and we can help explain your legal options. 312.878.2357
View our previous blog post, Self-Driving Cars
June 27, 2018
While the United States-Mexico border might be thousands of miles from Chicago, the topic of immigration is one that hits close to home for Chicagoans. Last week, news broke that families were being separated at the Southern border. Children as...
June 14, 2018
Chicago is no stranger to test piloting new convenience based start-up companies. From being one of the first cities to use food delivery services like Grubhub and 24/7 laundry lockers like Pressbox, Chicagoans have shown huge interest in these new...
June 6, 2018
A recent decision by the Supreme Court means that sports fans will now have more opportunities to place legal bets on sports teams. On Monday, the Supreme Court voted 6-3 to end a 1992 law that deemed sports betting illegal...
May 17, 2018
This an an excerpt from the document, "Memorandum Opinion Enforcing Provisions of Sale Order With Respect to the Moore, Et Al. Plaintiffs". This dispute involves allegedly contaminated groundwater that migrated from property previously owned until July 2009 by General Motors...
May 16, 2018
Uber has announced its plans to change the legal process for sexual assault victims involving employees, drivers, and other riders. Before Tuesday, anybody that alleged sexual assault involving somebody related to Uber, were subject to a lengthy legal process. CNN...
May 8, 2018
Check out our recent mention in an article about a case we've taken on against General Motors. Click this link to read the full story.
May 8, 2018
Today, virtually everybody has an online presence. From Facebook, to Twitter, to Snapchat, social media has become a core part of our lives. People can use these platforms to document every second of their life, from who they’re with, to...
May 1, 2018
Uninsured motorists are more common than you think. According to a 2016 study, 13.7% of Illinois drivers, or about 1 in 8, were uninsured, ranking the state 18th for most uninsured motorists. Not only are uninsured motorists a threat to...
April 24, 2018
Office workers are exposed to more hazards than one might think. Workplace hazards come in many forms including slip-and-fall accidents, ergonomic hazards, poor indoor air quality, electrical fires, as well as many other dangers. It was reported in 2016 that...
April 18, 2018
Intense work load in the office can lead to distraction in your personal life. Often, when the workplace demands attention outside of work hours, this can take shape in the form of distracted driving. Employees can frequently find themselves using...