Chicago is a large metropolitan city with high motor vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic. In fact, walking and biking are the preferred modes of transportation for Chicagoans. There are many advantages to bicycling such as improving your health, saving time and money, and helping the environment. Most of all, biking is fun as many destinations are accessible through Chicago’s bikeway network.
However, bicyclists are highly susceptible to accidents since they share the road with motorists. Over 500,000 Americans are treated in emergency departments and more than 700 Americans die each year due to bicycle accident injuries, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Pedestrians are also at risk. The CDC reports that on average, 324 people are injured each day in pedestrian accidents that require medical treatment. According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, more than 5,200 pedestrians were injured and more than 100 pedestrians were killed by motor vehicles in 2009. Therefore, it is vital for bicyclists and pedestrians to understand these following safety tips.
Safety Tips for Bicyclists
- Wear a proper helmet
- Follow this link for more information on fitting a helmet http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/cdot/bicycling/publications/helmet_fitting_tips.pdf
- Use front and side reflectors
- Use appropriate equipment including a properly adjusted bike seat, brakes, and gears
- Ride with the traffic flow, not against it
- Obey the rules of the road and traffic signs (Note: especially at intersections)
- Follow this link for more information on bike laws http://chicagocompletestreets.org/your-safety/enforcement-laws/
For more tips about biking safety, follow this link http://chicagocompletestreets.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Safe-Cycling-2011_Full-Booklet.pdf
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Walk on the sidewalk
- If you have to walk in the street, walk facing traffic
- Cross the street in a designated cross walk
- Use caution at intersections: drivers may fail to yield to pedestrians when turning
- Obey the rules of the road and traffic signs
- Follow this link for more information on pedestrian laws http://chicagocompletestreets.org/your-safety/enforcement-laws/
- Wear reflective clothing and carry a flashlight at night to increase visibility
For more tips about pedestrian safety, follow this link http://www.cdc.gov/features/PedestrianSafety/index.html
If you have been involved in an accident, call the sharks and we can help explain your legal options. 312.878.2357